Baby boy is here!
Introducing Carson Jacob Abel
Born September 17, 2016 at 3:25pm
8lbs 5oz
21 inches long
Here is a little story about how Carson came into the world:
I had been feeling crampy with lots of Braxton Hicks contractions all week, so I knew that baby was coming soon. The real contractions started Friday evening. I went to bed hoping to get some sleep but starting at around 12:00am the contractions started waking me up about every half hour. At around 2:30am they were coming about every 10 minutes so I got out of bed to get ready. I took a shower and started getting last minute items ready to bring to the hospital. I let Matt sleep until about 5:00am at which point I had started shaking and the contractions were getting painful. Matt gave me a priesthood blessing, and then took a shower himself while I went to get something to eat.
Luckily my dad was in Denver that week for work so I texted him at around 4:00am and he was able to get to our house around 6:00am to be with Molly. So grateful for that so we didn't have to wake her and I didn't have to worry about her. Mom was flying in that day, so she was there by the time the baby arrived too! At 7:00am my contractions had been 4 minutes apart for a while, and were getting hard to breathe through so we headed to the hospital!
We got to the hospital and I changed into a robe. The nurse checked me and I was dilated to a 3. I was at a 1 at the doctor on Wednesday so this was progress! They wanted me to walk around to make sure I was progressing (ugh!) for about 2 hours. Well, the contractions were super close together so I could barely walk around. I ended up going back to triage after only 45 minutes begging them to check me again. I wasn't much more dilated, but my cervix wad completely effaced, so they admitted me!! Yay! No more walk of shame around the hospital!
We were admitted to room 2003 at around 9:00am. I had to sign the dang paperwork and the the anesthesiologist was called to get me an epidural. I seriously don't know how people so it without drugs!! At this point I was shaking profusely, and they got me my IV. The anesthesiologist came in and started to put in the epidural. This was the worst part. He put the needle in, but apparently the part of my back he tried first as curved so he couldn't get the drugs in, so he had to stick me again! This time he got it in, and we waited for it to kick in... BUT it only worked on the right side!! Matt looked horrified at this point, and I felt like kicking the anesthesiologist's butt. So, I laid on my left side, but that was no help, so he had to take it out and do it all over AGAIN! This time it worked, and thank goodness the guy was nice or I would have left him a nasty review.
It took me quite a while to calm down, and the shakes were at their worst. The epidural ended up being really great. I could feel my contractions, but they didn't hurt. Such a weird feeling. The nurse came in and put in the catheter. This was also an ordeal. It felt super uncomfortable like I had to pee sooo bad. I kept telling the nurse it felt like my bladder was going to explode, and she tried to fix it, but it didn't really help. About an hour later, that feeling went away, thank goodness!
Finally I was at the point were I could get a little rest. I tried to nap, but who can nap when they're in labor? Dr. Pomfret (yes, Dr. Finnegan was out of town AGAIN) came to check on me at around noon. I was dilated to 6.5cm, but my waters had not broken, so she broke them for me. Then the nurse put this big plastic thing in between my legs (they called it a peanut?) and it was SUPER comfortable and apparently helps you progress. Matt walked across the street for some lunch while I waited and sipped my water.
By around 2:00pm I was fully dilated, but felt no urge to push so they had me "labor down" for a while. This was amazing, and I wish they would have done it with Molly. I started pushing a little after 3:00pm when baby was farther down. I pushed through about 5 contractions, and baby boy was out!
| Getting ready to cut the cord |
It took him a while to start crying, but when he did it was super loud and very high pitched! They wiped him off and put him on my chest while Dr. Pomfret did some sewing. This time I only had one 2nd degree tear!! I nursed baby boy, and then he got his vaccine and vitamin K. Matt finally got to hold him for a while after that.
Carson is perfect, and we LOVE him so much!
We were moved to recovery room 2009 where I got my dinner, and then had Grandma, Grandpa, and Molly come meet then baby. Molly didn't really want to have anything to do with the baby, but loved the rocking chair! That night we tried to get some sleep, and the baby slept and at really well.
The next couple of days were filled with circumcision, bath, nursing, tests on baby, and too many visitors. Though my recovery was SOO much easier than with Molly (I could actually walk around the next day, and needed very little pain meds!), I was so tired, and sore, and hormonal, and I wish I would have told visitors to stay for only very short periods of time. I hate noise and crowds, and I may have lost my cool a couple of times. Luckily I have a super patient husband!
| My snoring boys |
| hearing test |
We were able to come home Monday morning at 11:00am with out dark-haried, handsome man. We have been enjoying this new addition to our family, and are excited to see him grow!!
| Going home! |





Love this new baby! So glad I could be part of his first week!
ReplyDelete